Use this brown, mustard and white traditional woven bilum as an eco friendly fashion statement or grocery bag replacement.
Why not use this brown, mustard and white traditional woven bilum as an eco friendly fashion statement or grocery bag replacement? This traditional woven bilum is one of Papua New Guinea’s most versatile exports.
You can easily store or fold away this delightfully versatile bag for use when you go grocery shopping.
Take it with you in the car, folded in a handbag or simply wear it as a fashion accessory when the mood takes you.
What is a Bilum?
Made by women in PNG, the bilum is a traditional, hand woven bag which incorporates a range of different weaves and patterns.
Woven using a twisting or looping technique, bilums have a range of functions, both traditionally and currently.
With spiritual or symbolic significance, the intricate and unique patterns of a bilum also record events, stories or provenance.
Traditionally made from natural fibers such as sisal, hemp, or pandanus leaves, bilums are more recently from wool.
Designed and made to have multiple uses, these string bags, as a result, make themselves a must have item.
Used traditionally, the bilum can:
- Carry food and / or goods by slinging the woven handle over the head
- Act as a carry bag or hammock for babies. Carried, like vegetables and goods, the baby is slung and hung from the head for easy transportation or hung under a shady tree to catch the breeze.
- Form part of cultural rituals
- Function in tribal exchanges
Used currently, the bilum can:
- Act as a shoulder bag due to its long, woven handle.
- Replace the handbag as a fashion accessory
- Carry groceries in place of a plastic bag. You can easily roll or fold your bilum and keep it in your handbag.
Want to find out more?
Feel free to drop us a line.
Details of Bilum
Colors: Brown, Mustard and White
Height [drop]:39 cm
Width [widest point near base]:35 cm
Care: Like any bag woven from wool, this bag has stretch and is best spot washed if it becomes dirty. Please lay flat to dry.