A Fashion Statement Shoulder Bag That Packs A Punch
How about a fashion statement shoulder bag with a difference? This bilum or traditional string bag of Papua New Guinea can also double as a plastic bag replacement. With dark blue and sporting splashes of colour it’s even large and sturdy enough to carry a baby. In fact this larger sized bilum is designed to do just that!
You can easily store or fold away this delightfully versatile bag for use when you go grocery shopping.
Take it with you in the car, folded in a handbag or simply wear it as a fashion accessory when the mood takes you.
We love using them as shoulder bags because they’re soft, they streeeeeetch so far and they’re comfortable to wear.
What is a Bilum?
Made by women in PNG, the bilum is a traditional, hand woven bag which incorporates a range of different weaves and patterns.
Woven using a twisting or looping technique, bilums have a range of functions, both traditionally and currently.
With spiritual or symbolic significance, the intricate and unique patterns of a bilum also record events, stories or provenance.
Made from natural fibers such as sisal, hemp, or pandanus leaves, bilums have more recently been made from wool.
Designed and made to have multiple uses, these string bags, as a result, make themselves a must have item.
Used traditionally, the bilum can:
- Carry food and / or goods by slinging the woven handle over the head
- Act as a carry bag or hammock for babies. Carried, like vegetables and goods, the baby is slung and hung from the head for easy transportation or hung under a shady tree to catch the breeze.
- Form part of cultural rituals
- Function in tribal exchanges
Used currently, the bilum can:
- Act as a shoulder bag due to its long, woven handle.
- Replace the handbag as a fashion accessory
- Carry groceries in place of a plastic bag. You can easily roll or fold your bilum and keep it in your handbag.
Would you like to know more about us or our bilums?
Drop us a line with your question.
Details of Bilum
Width: 81 cm
Strap length on one side: 46cmcm
Please spot wash and lay flat to dry.