Learn to make your own coil basket in this easy to follow and fun tutorial.
What Do I Get in this tutorial?
Your tutorial comes with 27 pages of step by step, easy to follow instructions, as well as 65 diagrams and pictures which have been carefully designed to make this a fun and stress free experience.
Information is broken down into manageable and also easy to understand sections. These step you through the process beginning with the basic skills [ read below] to challenges and alternative materials once you’ve mastered the coil technique.
How Skilled do I need to be?
Skill or knowledge of sewing or weaving isn’t needed to make one of these baskets. If you can thread a needle, then you’re be off and running. All you need to do is to:
- Be able to thread a needle with crochet cotton.
- Tie off cotton.
- Make a basic stitch to connect the rope together as you coil it around.
What Materials and Tools will I need?
The basic materials and tools you’ll need are also readily available around your home or from your recycle centre. These include:
- Needle and crocheting cotton
- Recycled or old rope [ if you don’t have any at home, visit your local recycle center]
- Vine, branches or any materials from your garden, such as bamboo.[ Again – If you have none, visit friends or your recycle center]
Other materials you may like to include are:
- Recycled fabric or clothes cut into strips
- Recycled pieces of jewelry or beading
- Raffia, string or ribbon
You can begin adding anything you like to your basket once you’ve mastered the basic skills.
Cover your basket in recycled jewelry. Wrap your old recycled rope in colorful strips of material.
Why not have a few friends round for a coffee, chat and a bit of coil basket making? Once you’ve mastered the techniques in this easy to follow tutorial, you’ll have no trouble showing your friends how to do it.
Before you know it you’ll be having fun and making baskets as gifts or to sell!