Reusable Grocery Bag with Multiple Uses.
A perfect reusable grocery bag, the bilum is the traditional string bag of Papua New Guinea and makes an excellent replacement for plastic bags. Providing an easy solution to the problem of plastics in our environment, the bilum is also a multiple use bag.
Take it with you in the car, folded in a handbag or simply wear it as a fashion accessory when the mood takes you.
What is a Bilum?
Made by women in PNG, the bilum is a traditional, hand woven bag which incorporates a range of different weaves and patterns.
Woven using a twisting or looping technique, bilums have a range of functions, both traditionally and currently.
With spiritual or symbolic significance, the intricate and unique patterns of a bilum also record events, stories or provenance.
Made from natural fibers such as sisal, hemp, or pandanus leaves, bilums have more recently been made from wool.
Designed and made to have multiple uses, these string bags, as a result, make themselves a must have item.
Used traditionally, the bilum can:
- Carry food and / or goods by slinging the woven handle over the head.
- Act as a carry bag or hammock for babies. Carried, like vegetables and goods, the baby is slung and hung from the head for easy transportation or hung under a shady tree to catch the breeze.
- Form part of cultural rituals.
- Function in tribal exchanges.
Used currently, the bilum can also:
- Act as a shoulder bag due to its long, woven handle.
- Replace the handbag as a fashion accessory.
- Carry groceries in place of a plastic bag. You can easily roll or fold your bilum and keep it in your handbag.
Would you like to know more about us and our bilums?
Why not contact us to learn more?
Details of Bilum
Color: Dark Brown
Height [drop]:45 cm
Width [ widest point near base]: 35 cm
Care: Please spot wash and lay flat to dry.