Why The Question To Retail Or To Wholesale?
Until recently Nu4u has focused on being a retail business selling our personal hand made, one off eco pieces via our website or face to face at markets. We had never considered the question about whether or no to retail or to wholesale before. Why? Because we were not a wholesale business providing multiples of the same piece.
With the changes across the world in the last 2 years, it became clear that in order to survive as a creative and bespoke business something needed to change in some way.
Lock downs, mandates and restrictions combined to slowly strangle the options of markets and festivals. Often venues were closed at the last minute or festivals were deferred for another year. Loss of access to direct contact with customers has had a significant impact on retail sales. Pieces crafted from marine debris are better appreciated when they are handled or tried on.
It was decided that a move to combining both retail and wholesale would be a better option, with both being available on our web site.
As the owner and solo worker of Nu4u, I have both strengths and weaknesses.
I’m great at crafting a piece of marine debris into a one off bespoke piece of jewellery. I’ve slowly overcome my inability to cost and be comfortable with my pricing.
One area I still suck at is marketing. Yep- I can do the FB and Insta posts, but having that cold call to see if someone is interested in purchasing my pieces at wholesale prices or being one of my wholesale outlets just makes me freeze up.
What Does This Mean For You If You Are A Retail Outlet?
So- here I am, writing my post about how I’d love to be working with retail outlets who want unique, one off pieces hand crafted here in Australia, yet just can’t seem to crack it.
As a retail outlet, businesses get the following:
- They are able to purchase our pieces at 50% less than the retail price shown on our website.
- The initial purchase only has to be $200 [ much less than any other wholesaler selling one off bespoke pieces!]
- Exposure for free- Your business and it’s direct link will be on our website, driving more customers your way
- Regular tags and posts about your business and our relationship on our Instagram and Face Book sites
- Our retail prices would be the same as your, as seen on our website.
- The opportunity to sell Australian and locally made pieces, which can’t be found anywhere else. Both here and overseas.